Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sam Hamill - The Necessity to Speak ... ( my response )


As I read Sam Hamills’ The Necessity to Speak, I am filled again with this distaste tinged with apathy that I’ve come to recognize in myself when thinking about the state of our world and the people that inhabit it. A self-proclaimed misanthropist I guess I would call myself at times. I’m constantly blown away at this cycle that the human race is caught up in and the apparent unwillingness to make changes, to actually act as the supposed evolved human beings that we are. I can really not be in more agreement with Sam Hamill’s ideas of people as a whole not being able to deal with much reality. We have built a society in a bubble of sorts; top headlines seem to focus on what high powered stars are doing rather than what is really going on in the world, or our country for that matter. Consume, consume, consume and it will all be better, no matter the cost or who or what is affected. And though Hamill didn’t really touch on this fact, I cannot help but to think of history classes that are taught in public schools. The ones that teach our children about the great settling of this “free” country, that we celebrate to it, but are careful to "blanket" over the atrocities that occurred to the native peoples. How throughout history there has always been the conqueror (aggressor) and the conquered (victim). And we still repeat this cycle. How crazy to think that just 15 yrs. or so before my birth, people weren’t legally allowed certain places because of the color of their skin. And it still goes on right here in this country, a bit more undercover, not legal, with a broader spectrum of victims. But it happens still, because we let it happen.
 For as long as we have graced this planet, wouldn’t you think we would be transcended in thinking? Racism, violence/abuse against others, genocide, is all an everyday practice and a majority of people just look away. And then my apathy subsides a bit, and I try to figure out what I can do….realizing there are more people that have this same perception as I do, it gives me a bit of hope to see published, intelligent, first-hand knowledge to what is the reality of this life.
As I step down from my soap box, I also would like to recognize Hamill’s thoughts on poets and writers alike. He definitely captured in his words why I am so fond of poets and their work. The depth they seem to feel, the rawness and courage they have to expose their thoughts and ideas to everyone is quite an art form. One that I hope never stops. Isn’t it in others words and experiences that we can learn valuable lessons, that we as a whole can then evolve…


..image used from personnel photos..

No comments:

Post a Comment